Sunday, July 12, 2009

One Thing I love About Homeschooling




The other day I was reading SmallWorld and was challenged with the question of whether I felt like I was doing a good job homeschooling. Although some days are hard, the payoffs are huge in my opinion and yes we are doing a good job. I love that my son who is 10 still likes to make beleive and is not embarassed to get in a Spiderman car designed for 5 year olds when it looks like fun. He has been allowed the opportunity to still be a kid. 

It seems to me that being a child seems to get ripped from you the moment you get on the yellow bus these days.


The other night at the dinner table we somehow got on the discussion of what the Pink Floyd video of "The Wall" meant. Don't ask me how they got to see parts of it (Daddy!). They did not know what the kids wearing masks on a conveyor belt  falling into a meat grinder all coming out like perfect, equal sized hamburgers meant. When we started saying the words to the song, "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control", it struck me that maybe Pink Floyd was on to something. I have always thought it was just about being a rebellious teenager, but now it seems to have a whole new meaning for me. We homeschool so our children will not end up being "just another brick in the wall".  We want them to grow in the gifts and talents that the Lord has given them. They get to spend time learning about the things they love  and learn about history the way it actually was and not a textbook author's interpretation. (The Pilgrims first gave thanks to God...not the indians! )They are able to learn about science by experiencing the world around them. They have time to create and play and imagine. And if the latest videos you have watched are "The Lone Ranger", then it is Hi Ho Silver...Away! Thank you Lord for giving me the ability to give the gift of childhood to my children.

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Tina! My brother used to have "Another Brick in the Wall" on his homeschooling blog. You really need to submit this to the carnival of homeschooling. I'm hosting in 2 weeks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete