Thursday, August 27, 2009

What Was I Thinking?




A friend of mine (or so I thought ;) called me and said she heard that I may be wanting a couple additional hens to replace our dear departed Stella. She had a friend who had recently acquired some little bantes for her daughter to play with and had to get rid of some wonderful Plymouth Rock hens that laid giant eggs everyday. Perfect!

When we went to get them I noticed that one was losing some feathers. Maybe its time for her to molt I thought. But something told me I better not take them. On the way home I decided to be on the safe side I should not put them in with my healthy hens. So my dear husband made me a temporary pen and we have been watching them for 5 days now. Clearly they are older hens, one of them has diarrhea of unknown etiology and the other one lays an egg every day or so and usually they smash it and eat it.

I wonder why I can't use some common sense and go with my intuition? It sure would save me a lot of time and energy. Come to think of it, maybe I now know where my son gets his "acting without thinking" behavior.

I guess we will watch them for another week and if they don't look any better, we will let Daddy take care of our problem. He really deserves better.

No comments:

Post a Comment