Sunday, March 21, 2010

Garden Transformation- Day One

Yesterday was the first day of spring and it brought Day one of the garden transformation. We worked all day! It does not seem like that much got done, but it was a lot of work and we were all sore, tired, and hungry by time we finished for the day. Below on the left is the Montmorency Cherry tree that we planted. It is my favorite dry cherry. I am not sure it will do well in our climate, but I willing to give it a try.

On the right is Kevin removing the English Ivy that had taken over the bed that now holds our cherry tree. It was very hard work and excellent means of "character training". I think he is going to think twice about telling me he finished his math when in fact he hadn't.




















Next was the building of the raised beds. We have had them before and removed them because I had decided if I wanted my husband help in the garden I had to do it the way he wanted. We have compromised and I am allowed to have two to do a spring and fall garden. We will still plow up a big area of the yard for the summer garden.

Raised beds are great for many reasons such as being able to concentrate your nutrients in one place and being able to work them earlier and later in the year. The other reason, and the one that won my husband over, is that it is hard to grow root vegetables in East Tennessee clay soil. I have not been able to grow beets well since we got rid of the raised beds. I guess I better produce this year or lose face.

The last picture you see is my new experiment growing potatoes. This is kind of along the lines of "trash can" potatoes. This is what I did: I punctured some holes in the bottom of a bag, threw in a few handfuls of dry leaves, dumped in some dirt to cover, placed 4-5 small seed potatoes, and then covered with more soil. The instructions say to use a kitchen garbage bag, but a friend of mine who is a Master Gardener said she uses feed bags. As the plants grow, I will need to keep adding dirt or hay for the tubers to form. When I am ready to harvest, I will simply cut the bag open and pull out potatoes.

If this works, I will be so excited. Homegrown potatoes are one of the tastiest food on the planet, but the work and the land that goes into producing them will keep most people from growing them.

All in all, it was a great day in the sun and we got a great start to the transformation.

1 comment:

  1. That looks fantastic!! I can't wait to get my hands in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete