Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Last Saint Patrick's Day was about as delightful a day as one could wish for. It was unusually warm and the corned beef was perfect. As I started to plan our annual family celebration, it occurred to me that maybe not everyone actually knows how to prepare a traditional corned beef and cabbage meal. So I thought I would share how we do ours.

Only three items needed: corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. Earth Fare has a coupon this week for a FREE bag of organic potatoes and a coupon for $1.00 off corned beef. I will check the price of the corned beef and if it is not too high, I will get it there. But, if the price will cause my husband to hyperventilate, I will wait until next week and get it at Krogers. They always have them on sale the week of Saint Patrick's Day.
The morning of SPD, put your corned beef and as many pieces of cut up cabbage that you can fit in your crock pot on the low setting. I usually don't mess with the season package that comes with the corned beef because the meat and the cabbage will have plenty of flavor without pepper corns in my cabbage.

About 45 mins- 1 hour before you are ready to eat, remove the beef and place in a roasting pan, slather with some plain mustard and brown sugar, cover with foil and put in oven at 300 degrees for about 30 mins.

Meanwhile, dip some of the juice out of the crock pot and put in a pan with your peeled, cubed potatoes. Add extra water if needed and boil until potatoes are fork tender, drain. The wholesome goodness in the crock pot is truly the key to yummy potatoes.

Serve with butter for the potatoes and sometimes we like ketchup on the cabbage. Yum!

Of course every Saint Patrick's Day celebration requires Celtic music and dance. Last year the kids invented some instruments to accompany the music.

Erin Go Braugh!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog looks great! I love corned beef and cabbage. Grew up on it. (Did you know that I'm a Riley? My grandmother was Gladys Riley. Her grandpa came over from Ireland.) That said, no one in my family now would eat the cabbage part. I may have to make your recipe for my parents next week, though!

    ReplyDelete