Friday, March 5, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up

Whew! What a week! It was extraordinaryily busy, but mostly fun. Monday started with our regular rountine. We had classes at our local co-op and then Gymnastics. Usually it is dinner and then swimming, but not this week. We had our final practice for the Energy Bowl at the Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge the next morning.

Tuesday we woke up to blowing snow and sleet but headed out for our 40 minute drive to compete against other sixth grade teams from around the area on the topic of physical science and energy. Our kids did fabulous! We earned second place and we even had 2 members who are 5th graders.
After a trip to the museum gift shop to spend our prize money we went to lunch, Earth Fare and then home to piano and gymnastics before the Pinewood Derby that evening. Unfortunately, we did not have quite as a spectacular showing there. Kevin's car actually was no where near done, but he decided to nail on his wheels and go for the fun of it. It wasn't so much fun when he came in last.

Wednesday was about the most "normal" school day we had all week even though it ended at around 12:30. Glen came and picked me up at 12:45 for an appointment with an allergist. I knew they were going to test me, so I wanted him there. The kids went next door and worked on their assignments while I got 130 pricks in my back. It really was not that bad and the good news is that I do not have any allergies. But the wonderful, kind, doctor agreed with me (in front of my husband) that I probably had some sensitivities to preservatives, additives, etc and that white flour probably did make me sick and explained to him why.

Thursday was our AMSE science class. An instructor from the American Museum of Science and Energy comes to Maryville once a month and has a class for the kids. This class was on geology. Colleen had a rock collection at four. She loved this class. Actually she loves all of them.

Friday brought yet another field trip. The Sam Houston Schoolhouse was having Civil War
reenactments and exhibits for homeschoolers in preparation for their reenactments this weekend. We went with some friends and had a great time in the cool sunshine. The kids helped the re-enactors unload a truck full of wood before getting chased out of the flower bed by the school marm. In their defense, we had no idea it was a flower bed either. All in all, it was great fun.

















But are we done yet? No. We are on our way to a friend's house for a mother and daughter homemade pizza and "Little Women" party.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an awesome day at the schoolhouse! I hope it was a good turn out. Since none of you are posting your energy bowl win on the loop, I guess I'll have to!

    ReplyDelete