Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Church Garden/ PapPap's Garden

Friday was a beautiful day and the right day for planting according to the signs. There is actually some scientific evidence to support planting according to the signs. I used to think it was witchcraft and totally discounted the farmer's almanac. Now, I understand that the gravitational pull from the moon can actually aid in the germination of seeds. In Ecclesiastes 3 it says that:

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot...

Who am I to argue with the Word of God? There are definite seasons and times to plant and harvest. With that in mind, I tried to plant a whole lot in one day.

The first activity was the church garden. Our women's ministry is planting a garden for the members of our church with hopes to donate any leftovers to a local food bank. We started the day with praying and then proceeded to plant 2 rows of beans, 6 rows of corn, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, peppers, and I am sure something else, I just can't remember.









While I was working on that, Glen was at my dad's house building a raised bed vegetable garden. We are giving him a garden for his 69th birthday. He has been talking about having a garden since he moved here 3 years ago, but his Rheumatoid Arthritis has prevented him. So, Glen and I decided to make a low maintenance garden that he may enjoy his own tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, peppers, and zucchini without too much work.

When I finished at the church garden and the kids had finished swimming, we went and planted PapPap's garden and had a lovely dinner of venison tenderloin and oven roasted vegetables with my family. It was a great, albeit exhausting day!


2 comments:

  1. wow! that's a lot of gardening for one day. I love to garden for about 15 minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Randall:
    I don't think you've ever gardened for 15 minutes…

    ReplyDelete